What is a Principal Investigator (PI) and Chief Investigator (CI) and do I need one for my study?

  • A PI is an individual responsible for the conduct of the research at a research site. There should be one PI for each research site.
  • A CI is an individual who is responsible for the conduct of the whole project in the UK.
  • All Research Studies running at NuTH will need a local PI, this is someone clinical who is employed by NuTH who is a specialist in that area. It can also be someone who is not employed by NuTH but holds a Clinical Contract with the Trust.